Monday, July 14, 2008

Seeing things


I was walking my dog this afternoon and, about twenty minutes into the walk, I noticed my thoughts. I was thinking about skiing. Now, as much as I like to think about skiing, thinking about it in July in the northern hemisphere is clearly an example of not being in the present moment.

So, I shifted from visualizing future enjoyment into the "now". Immediately I began to see things differently. I was walking past a grove of birch trees. I looked at a tree and noticed the subtle gradations of pale gray and green bark . Ants were channeling up and down the trunk. The next tree was also a birch but I was struck by its stark white and black. Two trees of the same species next to one another, much the same when viewed quickly, but with dramatic contrast when viewed with intent.

The life lessons are apparent and almost cliched. Be in the present moment. Pay attention to each individual. Do these things and life will reveal itself differently.

Namaste,
Ginny

No comments: