Monday, September 20, 2010

Facebook profiles

When I was a child, I often heard the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover". One of my favourite songs now is "Diamonds on the Inside" by Ben Harper. This song and, indeed, the whole album have resonated with me for over seven years. The lyrics are nuanced, taking on new subtleties as I grow and change. For a number of reasons, I have always been sensitive to the idea that what matters is on the inside. I believe this now more than ever.

I believe that we often hold ourselves back from living life the way we are meant. Sometimes, we hold ourselves back because we fear what our parents or friends or associates might think. "You want to do WHAT for a living? Do you really think you can do that?" might be the reaction to a child who tells her parents " I want to be the next Ellen DeGeneres". We hold ourselves back because we fear what we want is impossible to achieve. We hold ourselves back because we fear that what we want is not good enough.

One way of dealing with the fear is to create a personna. We hide ourselves behind these masks.
They protect us. You can't see into my soul or even my eyes if I am wearing a mask. I have a personna...mother, skier, climber, yoga practitioner, MBA, teacher. My personna has shifted over the past ten years but I still have one. Some days it is more apparent than other days. If you talk to me, and you hear my vocabulary expand, my mask is probably slipping on and I am relying on my intellectual personna.

When I first started using Facebook, I deliberately tried to be open and authentic. No credentials, just me. Over time, this has changed. My facebook page now shows pictures of me outdoors, generally when I happiest. My facebook page does not show me first thing in the morning as I awake bleary-eyed. My facebook page does not show me worrying. Facebook gives me glimpses into old friends' current lives, but we are all showing only what we choose to reveal. I am a personna on Facebook, not a person.

This is important because having the confidence to be yourself is a task that many of us struggle with throughout life. Certainly, lack of confidence haunts me but it is not apparent to many of my friends, Facebook or otherwise. I am myself enough of the time to know that external symbols of success ( diamonds, degrees, cars) do not make me happy. Facebook can play into fears...it's keeping up with the Jones in 2010...and we all know what happens when you keep up with the Jones and your name is Smith or Chevalier or Raj or Adewaki. You are not being you. So, focus on being you more of the time and being less aware of your neighbors. I will do the same.

That all said, one of the things that troubles me about this blog is that it also creates a personna. By writing, I move into my head and my intellect. I try to be honest but my ego gets in the way. I sometimes feel that I write as if I have answers. I definitely don't have answers. I am writing about my personal experience with the hope that it shines a light so that others question the thoughts that bind them still. I write because I need to, because it is part of who I am.

Namaste.

No comments: