Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Worrying about the wrong thing

I am learning today (for about the millionth time) that it doesn't make sense to worry. I am leaving in a week to go skiing in Switzerland. I have been looking forward to the trip since June and am going with a group of ski instructors. I paid my money in the three required deposits and anxiously awaited the package of information listing the flight numbers and hotel information. As I have been anticipating the departure, I have been worrying about meeting the other instructors in the Toronto airport, who I will sit with, and how sore my quads will be after the third day of skiing.

I learned today that these were the wrong set of worries. I received my package of information yesterday and there was no flight information, so I called the organizer (who is not a travel agent or tour organizer but a superb ski instructor). He told me that his understanding was that I was booking my own flights using aeropoints. I had a second of panic and wanted to act immediately and blame someone else ( I was going for the fight in fight or flight terms) but then took a breath and went to the trusty Travelocity website and discovered lots of affordable flights from Edmonton or Toronto to Geneva. I then took a bath. So now, I am waiting to hear back from the organizer's travel agent and by evening, the problem will be solved.

My thoughts and behavior today are typical of me. I become anxious and worry when something is changing or new. It is the uncertainty that triggers the anxiety. Once something happens, I am fine. I am especially fine if I remember to breathe and be in the moment. I did that today and the problem no longer seems so big. It is easily solved and as usual (for the millionth time), I wonder why I worried.

P.S. This is not the "shoe dropping" that I worried about in my last post. I am still going skiing in Switzerland and I am still happy. Or...if this is the "shoe dropping", it's not a big deal because I can pick the shoe up and put it back on.

No comments: