Monday, January 7, 2008

New Year's Yoga

I went to yoga class today at 3:30 in the afternoon. It was packed. I recall when I first started going to mid-afternoon yoga several years ago, I wondered, "who are these people? why aren't they at work?" I could not imagine a lifestyle that provided flexibility enough to go to yoga during the workday. (I really was tethered to my office, laptop, and cellphone in those days and I now shudder and recoil at the recollection). I don't know who the people were at class today but good for them for coming. Over the years, I have made friends with many of the afternoon regulars and they work, just like me. They are actors, nurses, pharmaceutical sales reps, teachers, restaurant owners, and entrepreneurs.

If they are like me, the class was one of letting loose the emotions of the holidays. I noticed as I lay on my mat waiting for class to begin that my neck felt warm and flushed. I stood and the redness was apparent. It was as if my body were signalling that it was time for me to get reconnected top to bottom. Two of the instructors were taking the class rather than guiding it, and they loosened the atmosphere by giggling and pointing to their male friend who was wearing a Christmas bow on his headband. But soon, their focus turned to yoga.

Post-New Year's yoga classes are infamous for "drama". People are caught up in the aftermath of their family visits, functional or dysfunctional. People have often overeaten or overspent. People are overwrought. Today's class was not horrible for drama but there was some. Loud, pained breathing could be heard. Lots of people took breaks and lay down on their mats. For someone as self-conscious as I am, I maintained my composure, working steadily at each pose. For the second class in a row, my hamstrings loosened up enough to allow me to bring my leg parallel to the floor in Standing Head to Knee Pose. I noticed a similar ease in Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose. Physically, there is no reason why these poses should suddenly have become easier. I have been going to yoga less and skiing a lot (which tightens hamstrings).

I suspect the reason that the poses are becoming easier has to do with my state of mind. Several years ago, I asked an instructor about these poses and she described them as poses in which you surrender. No wonder I found them hard. I am a warrior. I will not surrender. Yet, I am realizing that hard as I may fight, I am not in control. There are forces larger and wiser. Without even realizing it, my struggles this holiday season may have taught me the value of surrender. Relax, let things be easy and they are. I am loosening my control. Hamstrings and heartstrings, both. I am ready to let things be. (And now, cue the Beatles).

No comments: