Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Busy Days

These first few weeks in September are busy. I remember the list of things to do when my children were still young: buy school supplies, buy new shoes, register for sports (soccer, basketball, gymnastics, skiing), meet the teacher, and all the ordinary responsibilites of groceries, housekeeping and career. My children are grown now but it is still a busy time. My summer was laid back. I could do my work when I wanted; meetings were few and far between.

Today was different. Today was a busy day. I had meetings and I had unexpected business phone calls. I had more e-mails in my in-box today alone than all of last week. I moved from task to task, checking off each on my to-do list. I am now sitting down alone for the first time today. I think my dog senses my energy because he is frantically playing with a toy for "power chewers", making figure eights around my work area. I am trying to turn to my inner self, to my true self and see how I feel about this busy day. Did I enjoy it? Were there things that I did that were unnecessary? Were there things that I did that brought me joy?

Already, I feel calmer.

No comments: