Friday, September 21, 2007

Trying

I've often been called tenacious and I am proud that I am one of those people who keeps trying and doesn't give up. For many years, I used mountain climbing as inspiration. Climbing a mountain is difficult. Setbacks are to be expected, but the rewards when you reach the summit are very satisfying, and then with the learnings obtained from that climb, you start on a new one. Tenacity when climbing a mountain or reaching for a challenge is useful.

Trying is different. It is not the same as tenacity. If I say that I will try something, I imply that I am not fully confident that I will achieve it. Even the "old college try" implies a wild and desperate attempt to make a play. A dictionary definition of trying states: "causing strain, hardship, or distress".

Recently, I’ve learned that, while I really truly enjoy challenge, I sometimes make things more difficult than they need be and that easy is not a cop out. Ease of movement and expression is a reflection of joy. In yoga, I've been trying to touch my forehead to the ground in a certain pose. I've been told that I'm close, which makes me want it even more and try even harder. The result is the opposite of what I want. I stiffen up and my head is even farther from the ground. Easing up and allowing my body to relax is the key in this pose. Easier to say than do, but trying certainly doesn't work. It causes strain.

And what about tenacity? A dictionary definition states: "the quality of being determined to do or achieve something, firmness of purpose". A synonym is courage. The difference between trying and tenacity is then in intent and resilience. Trying lacks firmness of purpose and mind while tenacity implies the mental and moral strength to persist in meeting strain or difficulty with resilience. Sounds good to me. I will try to be even more tenacious. No... I will become even more tenacious and eventually with intent and resilience I will touch my forehead to the ground in dandayamana-bibhaktapada- paschimotthanasana.

1 comment:

ninjanarmin said...

I think tenacious suits you...especially in relation to the past year or so.