Saturday, March 8, 2008

Being. Thinking. Doing.

I've written a fair bit over the past months about being in the moment, and how over-thinking impedes me. I've also written how movement (doing) helps me be, so I was interested to learn a catch phrase of Deepak Chopra while watching PBS. Deepak Chopra kept saying "We are human beings, not human thinkings, not human doings". I really like that. I am a human being, not a human doing, and certainly not a human thinking.

In contrast to the presentation of eastern philosophy by Deepak Chopra, I was given a newspaper article this week that describes a similar way of being, but from a very different perspective. The article is from a rural weekly newspaper (I have a clipping and am looking for the author in order to give credit) and describes a six year boy's response to his dog's death. The adults were wondering about the fact that many animal lives are shorter than human lives. The six year old piped up that "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right? Well dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Okay, so this doesn't explain an elephant's lifespan but it does get at the point of animals being and doing, not thinking. The article went on to describe the lessons we might learn from a dog. I was surprised to see how many of them describe how I want to live my life (my comments are in italics).

  • When loved ones come home, always run to greet them (I do the running part not so often, but it's almost always in my head to do so)
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride (Even with a broad definition of joyride, I admit to letting many opportunities pass by)
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy (YUP!!! It's why I love skiing and sailing so much)
  • Take naps (Yes - I especially like them in late winter when the sun shines in and warms my legs)
  • Stretch before rising (Does yoga count? Actually, I did stretch my legs and arms straight this morning before getting out of bed)
  • Run, romp, and play daily (especially in ski season)
  • Thrive on attention and let people touch you (Nope, but I am learning to appreciate attention rather than retreat from it)
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do (I'm not sure how to answer this one)
  • One warm days, stop to lie on our back on the grass (I really like doing this, especially in early spring and early autumn)
  • When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body (sports are my way of dancing and wagging)
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk (Yes, but not always, though more and more often)
  • Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough. (Most of the time)
  • Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not (This is my quest to just be and on-going
  • Be always grateful for each new day. (This is also an on-going quest)

A dog is not a human being, but can teach me how to be. I have learned from books and through my thoughts how to be. I am learning through doing how to be. Part of being is learning for life, through life. Vitae Discae. Pace.



No comments: