Friday, April 11, 2008

Pleasure and Joy

I've been thinking about the difference between pleasure and joy. This may or may not be a good thing. I was in the grocery store on Thursday and saw the "Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle in the 40% off bin. With all the buzz about "A New Earth", I had been thinking (there's that word - thinking- again) about reading Tolle's work, but the rebel in me, slight as it is, didn't want to conform. When I saw the book in the bin, I didn't resist and I'm glad that I allowed myself to buy the book.

I like how Tolle emphasizes "watching the thinker". Becoming conscious of my thoughts is a large part of my journey from fear into fun. I haven't rushed through the book. I am still in the first chapter but I've stopped to ruminate (not think) about the difference between pleasure and joy. According to Tolle, every pleasure or emotional high contains within itself the seed of pain. I liken it to yin/yang, dark and light - without one we can't have the other. Tolle also says that "pleasure is derived from something outside of you, whereas joy arises within." I get this in terms of food. The sensations and taste of chocolate, and the resulting pleasure, is from outside of me. The feel of silk against my cheek is externally derived. Pleasure seems to come from our senses, which translate the external into internal reactions.

Where the distinction falls apart for me, is when I ski. I've written much about how I feel when I ski. There were times and still are, where I don't enjoy skiing. Often when I am not enjoying skiing, it's because I am not in the moment, I am not in the "now". Earlier in my journey from feeling frozen to feeling free, I realized that skiing was one of the few times in my life when I felt mind/body integration. I've now incorporated other activities into my life that result in the same feelings...yoga, rock climbing, gardening. Activity is the easiest way from me to get out of my mind and into my body.

I know this isn't true for all. For some, skiing or rock climbing or kayaking gives little pleasure and much muscle pain. But for me, who lived in my head for so many years, the pleasure of intense sport quiets my inner voices and sets the stage for me to allow joy to bubble up from within. My inner voice is still active but my skill in choosing when to listen and when to observe is developing. I have many more moments of being fully present, and it's wonderful.

1 comment:

bluehairstreak said...

Wow -- you got it Ginny! You have expressed what I have been thinking about since reading the 1st chapter.

I just keep saying "I am not my thoughts".

since, taking up Karate I feel blissfully removed in the 2 hours during class. At the end I am drenched in sweat and tired but so peaceful.