Saturday, October 6, 2007

A grook

I've been getting interesting reactions to my blog from family and friends. Some see it as a way of staying connected to me, even though we are many miles apart. Some see it as a way of getting to know me better and some see it as proof that I'm "losing my mind". After all, I write about the difficulty of feeling what I am feeling. And so, I dedicate this grook written by Piet Hein over 30 years ago to those who don't get how hard it is to really feel:

We are taught to live,
we are
taught to feel.
We are taught to conform and conceal.

We are taught so well
what we
ought to feel
that we cannot feel what we feel.

P.S. Once you start really feeling, you feel quite easily. It is getting past what we are taught so well that is challenging. And calling the poem a grook isn't a sign that I am losing my mind. A grook is from the danish "gruk' , a short aphoristic poem. The term was invented by the Danish poet, mathematician, and scientist, Piet Hein. As an additional piece of trivia, Piet Hein also invented games like Hex, Tangloids, TacTix and the Soma Cube.


No comments: