Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Musings on musings

I have lots of thoughts today and they seem unrelated, so I'll see what I type as I type.

Musing One
I said yesterday that I want to climb a tree again. I really do. I also said yesterday, that when I was in that tree, I would shout out like Mortimer "clang,clang, rattle- bittle-bing-bang, I'm going to make my noise all day". I really do wish that were true but it isn't. I am an inhibited, shy sort and shouting out isn't something that I do often or do well. I will probably be self conscious enough being up in a tree that the best I'll do is whisper the phrase, but who knows? If the sun is bright, I might speak, shout, whisper, or be silent. I will be happy to be in a tree.

Musing Two
One of my daughters told me yesterday that she has never climbed a tree. That makes me feel very sad. But, when I reflect, it also makes me happy. Think of the new found joy she will experience when she climbs her first tree at the ripe old age of twenty-something.


Musing Three

My dog, Bode, has learned to open the cupboard door to where I keep the garbage. I spent a large part of yesterday and most of the hour that I have been home today, saying "Uh, Uh - No!" and turning my back for an instant to find leftover lasagne on the floor, or a chewed up milk carton, or a broken egg shredded, or slimy lettuce bits. I'm glad that he is learning (just not what he his learning) but I wonder what I am supposed to be learning from this?


Musing Four
Sharing what worries you can make other people laugh. Last week I booked my own flights to Switzerland. Travelocity very clearly stated that I would need to transfer from Heathrow to London City Airport and the transfer didn't cause me to bat an eye as I chose my flights. Once I confirmed my flights, worry set in and to assuage it, I decided to investigate. I googled London City Airport and discovered that it takes between 60 and 90 minutes to get there from Heathrow. No problem, I have 4 1/2 hours between flights. I also learned that London City Airport largely serves the financial district in short hop European flights. A new worry set in. I would be carrying skis, a big duffle bag, and a backpack. Not exactly what the blue pinstripe financial set brings as luggage. Would my skis fit on the plane? Would the check in personnel have the facilities to deal with my duffle bag? So, I called Swiss Air and asked the agent if the plane could handle my skis? I could hear her almost muffle her giggle, but then she couldn't help it, she had to laugh. Of course Swiss Air allows skis on its planes. At least, I asked and now I have one less worry and know that I made at least one person laugh that day.

No comments: