Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fear into fun - What does that mean?

I'm a believer in play. Play is not just for kids but for all of us. It's one of the ways we learn. It's one of the ways we break through fear...and when we break through fear, we can achieve things that make us very happy.

Several years ago when I was feeling stifled in my marriage and in my work, I would escape to the mountains to ski. When I was skiing, I felt free and alive. I would return to the city and feel like I held my breath all week while I worked until I could return to the mountains. I wanted to change but I was afraid. Afraid of what, I couldn't tell you, but very afraid. One weekend, I was in a craft store in a mountain town and came across a small clay pot. It was painted shades of dusky blue with gold stars. On it was a phrase. ""As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think" a bit of advice given to a young native at the time of his initiation - Joseph Campbell". Since that time, I have jumped over many chasms and I will continue jumping.

I have observed friends, and even people that I don't know, standing on one side of a chasm wanting to jump to the vital other side. I imagine that fear is stopping them and I have wanted to help them make that leap, which is often not that big. So, I am coaching people on this aspect of life, helping them move from fear into fun, from paralysis into motion. I am trained using the North Star approach which holds that each of us knows what we want deep inside of us; that we have an internal "north star" that guides us to claim the life we were meant to live. For someone like me, this is a leap but one I am meant to make.

No comments: