Monday, November 5, 2007

Snow Bright


It snowed yesterday. I woke up, knowing that snow had been forecast but through the window from my bed I thought the forecast was wrong. I went downstairs and realized that it had snowed! The first snow of the year! I tried to decide if there was enough to break out my favorite snow song. But no, I decided that this snow was not deep enough to warrant the Hawksely Workman "First Snow of the Year".

I am genuinely happy when there is snow on the ground. It feels magical to me as if the earth had been transformed. I have been thinking about why it is that a snowy landscape energizes me. At first, I thought it was because a blanket of snow hides the unsightly. Perhaps there is an element of this, but there is more. I love snow because of the way it reflects light.

In November, before the snows come, the earth is grey. No leaves, no flowers, no green, november. The greys make us sleepy and lethargic. Like the earth, we want a period of rest. When snow falls, the world is bright again with the accumulated flakes acting as prisms to reflect the winter sunlight. On a sunny day, the landscape is practically ablaze with light. The minute particles of snow are separate and scintillating. There is something primeval about enjoying the light. We have it in abundance during some summer months, but in winter light is scarce. We create it in our homes through candlelight and firelight. When we go outside, we soak it in.

I know writing about sunlight in winter is counter to theories about seasonal affective disorder. For me, at least, snow and winter bring many of the ingredients for happiness: Crisp, clear days, wind, changes in weather, crunchy snow, soft muffled snow, sunlight. Add activity: skiing, skating, walking, sledding. And then vary the amount of companionship, sometimes alone, sometimes with good friends or family, sometimes with new people. And then I am happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like to walk in the evening when it’s snowing or right after a snow fall, it’s so quite and peaceful. Everything seems new.

Dave